Thursday, March 27, 2014

Human Body Required

For the human body required project I want to do two separate pieces, a helmet and a tracing paper dress. I took inspiration from the old school diver's helmets and the body of the octopus. I want to give the illusion and feel of underwater and have a contrast between being anchored down by the heaviness/bulkiness of the helmet and the light and fluid aspect of the octopus' tentacles flowing in the sea.

Inspirations:





In Progress:

The helmet has a wire base and the wire was covered with the tracing paper and then layers upon layers of the white paper (paper mache)




The dress is made entirely from long strips of the tracing paper layered around a ring of wire. The paper begins to curl at the bottom, ranging in lengths, giving the feel of octopus tentacles I wanted to portray.


The final photos were taking in a dark bathroom with a black light:



                                             



Final:

For the final photos of my piece I used a dark room and black lights to portray the dark ocean with the purple lights illuminating the sculpture and creating an underwater look. I really enjoyed taking the pictures, they came out a combination of creepy, mysterious, and interesting. I wish I could of gotten a little clearer images, but it was hard working without a tripod. The first image is lit up with a lighter (finding light in the darkness) and the following images escalate with the black lights.








No comments:

Post a Comment